Whether you work full-time, part-time from home or in an office, being a working mom or parent is hard especially if you’re new at it. But don’t worry, you’re not alone, you can take comfort in these common bonds.
- One of your son’s first words was “Da-Ta.”
- You constantly feel like an average mom, an average employee, an average wife, an average daughter, an average sister and an average friend. You want to give 100 percent to everything in your life, but it never happens because you’re spread too thin.
- You cherish the fact that your office offers you the ability to pee alone and with the door closed.
- You can do almost anything and everything with one hand
- Your guilt weighs more than your laptop bag.
- On conference calls, you claim the noise from Cbeebies “Show me Show me” is “just really bad traffic outside.”
- You don’t see anything wrong with taking notes with crayons during team meetings. (Joke)
- You usually find atleast one lego block in your bag
- You’ve spoken to your stakeholders from your closet, garage, garden shed and even under the table
- Shopping at ASDA by yourself feels like a vacation and going on family vacation feels like work
- You’ve said “I have to take my kid to the gp” so many times, you’re sure your boss thinks you are lying, even though it has been true every single time.
- You’ve spent half the day at the office before realizing you have a Paw Patrol sticker stuck to the back of your dress
- You’ve had to wrestle your leg away from your child before sadly walking out the door.
- You’ve been knocked over by the love of an overly enthusiastic toddler screaming “Mooommieeee!!” when you walk in the door at the end of the day.
- You’ve infected your entire office floor with a pre-school flu virus.
- You’ve bribed your child with Kinder eggs and Horrid Henry so he’ll leave you alone while you chair a conference call from your home office.
- In addition to playing superheroes, your son plays “going to work” which consists of pretending to type on a computer while yelling “I said, leave me in peace!”
- By the end of the weekend, you look forward to getting a “break” at work on Monday.
- You have no clue what TV shows your colleagues are talking about, but you know all the programmes on Nickelodeon, Disney and CBeebies Channels.
- Your child is usually the last to be picked up from nursery.
I reached out to working parents from the UK Parent Blogger community and here are some of their responses:
You only realise AFTER you’ve stood up and done a presentation that you had a Peppa Pig sticker on your arse!
Siobhan Butel- www.passthewineplease.blog
My son used to call the laptop the tap tap because that is the sound it makes as you press the keys! He would often say Mummy is on her tap tap.
Emma Reed- https://emmareed.net
You’ve pulled out a dinosaur instead of a pen in a meeting. You clean your computer keyboard with a packet of baby wipes.
Helen Hamston- Www.mummysginfund.co.uk
Coming home to their smiles and cuddles cancels out the terrible meetings you’ve been stuck in.
Sinead Latham- http://www.sineadlatham.com/
When you have toys in your office for when your children join you at work.
Ally Baldwin- www.thesmldietblog.co.uk
You carry your marking home in one of those massive Toys R Us bags (I’m a teacher). Also, when you’ve checked work emails while comforting a child.
Naomi Lynas- https://theorganisedlifeproject.com/
When you have to miss a variety of school shows, fairs, assemblies etc etcbecause you always are working when these things are arranged at school 🙁
Helen Gandy- http://www.allthebeautifulthings.co.uk/
When you’re bundling them into the car, still in their pjs in order to drop them off at your mum’s ready for your early start. You get confused as to which is actually your “day off”
Laura Chatfield- https://chattychronicles.wordpress/
Your neighbours move out of the way when they see you coming down the pavement at speed with the buggy before 8am as they know you’re running late to get to the childminder’s on time (true story!!)!
Naomi Hatch Lighterness- http://allthingsspliced.co.uk/
You go to work for peace/quiet and a hot cup of tea/ coffee but still pull out a train or other random toy, when looking for your staff pass to get in your office!
Jo Brigdale- https://mummyneedswine.co.uk/
Your child gets ridiculously excited and giddy just because when you have a work from home day and can do the school run with them for once.
Irina Pehkonen- http://www.wavetomummy.com/
When you drop your child to whoever is looking after her that day and she says “mummy go… byyyeeeeee” cheers then 😂😭
Siobhan Grace- http://thebabyboatdiaries.wordpress.com
If you want a working Dad’s view – When work is an escape from being a Dad, but I always rush home to get those precious few minutes before bedtime!
Lee Everitt- http://www.propertyparent.org/
You have to get everything ready the night before or it’s just ultimate chaos in the morning. Also your the last mum doing the pick up at nursery and feel guilty ALL THE TIME!!!
Natalie Cocksworth- http://www.mumworthy.com/
You only see your children during the delightful witching hour before bed and someone else has had the happy version of them for the rest of the day.
Alana Perrin- http://www.baby-holiday.co.uk/
In the last month on 3 separate occasions I have gone to work without my wallet, my phone and my security pass due to sleep deprivation. But every time I always had boys’ spare underwear and socks, and toy cars in my handbag!!
Heledd Jones- https://yummyblogger.com/
Everyone steers clear of your cool bag in the office fridge because they know it contains breast milk!
Natalie brown- http://www.crummymummy.co.uk/
When you rush out of the office because nursery phones and are treated with ‘oh god it’s not nits again is it?!’ By your boss 😂 🙈
Raimy Greenland- http://www.readaraptor.co.uk/hatchling
When you still carry around a nappy and spare clothes in your handbag for those imaginary just in case moments Also when you go to work hoping to have adult conversations and everyone keeps asking about your children after you’ve been back for over 6 months
Victoria Glass- thegrowingmum.com
When you realise you’ve spent half the day wandering around with a “2 for £6” sticker on your chest! And none of your colleagues told you
Kim Scotland- http://www.raisingaragamuffin.com
You’re up working until 3am to hit that deadline… even though you know that your little people will wake you a few hours later ready to start the day 😩
Kate Redfern http://www.fivelittlestars.com/
You’ve made dinner and realise you still have your coat and high heels on.
You only get a hot cup of tea and lunch to yourself when you’re in the office. It’s a magical experience!
Laura Nelson- http://www.thebreastestnews.co.uk/
Some of these might sound quite funny however its is the reality for so many working parents. Remember, you’re not alone in your everyday struggles. There are tons of working moms and parents out there and everyone is doing an awesome job. Know that someday you and your kids will look back and be proud of everything you accomplished.
Do you concur with any of these, what else would you add to the list? Let me know in the comments below.